Walkley Map

Walkley is a Sheffield suburb that is located west of Burngreave, south of Hillsborough, and northeast of Crookes. The neighbourhood is mostly made up of Victorian stone-fronted terraced housing and has a sizable student population. There are also several independent stores and eateries. The origin of name Walkley derives from the Old English language with the original name being „Walcas Leah“, meaning Walca’s woodland clearing. The early Anglo-Saxon hamlet was made up of a few structures, mostly farm structures and workmen’s houses. The first house of worship built on the site of St Mary’s church was a mission church, which was built in 1861. John Ruskin established the St George’s Museum in Walkley in 1875.

 

More related locations...