Deepcar map

Deepcar is a settlement on the outskirts of the town of Stocksbridge. It is located in the Stocksbridge and Upper Don electoral ward, roughly 11 kilometers north-west of Sheffield city center. The settlement is located to the south-west of the junction of the Don and Little Don rivers. The Deepcar archaeological site, which contained a structure or ‘home’ belonging to the Mesolithic period and attributed to the Maglemosian culture, was unearthed in 1962 near the Don and Little Don junction at Wharncliffe Wood. A possible Romano-British settlement has also been discovered along the river. In 1878, the parish church of St John the Evangelist was dedicated.

More related locations...