Brightside map

Brightside is a Sheffield industrial suburb located on a hill north of Attercliffe and the River Don. Brightside was known as „Brekesherth“ in the fourteenth century, when it was home to various mills. Brightside Bierlow was one of Sheffield’s six initial divisions, and it included all of the territory north of the Don. St Thomas’ Church, which was built in 1854, today serves as the Greentop Circus’ training facility. By 1860, the area’s industries were expanding, with steel and cutlery manufacturing dominating. Industry grew, and by the early 1970s, it was primarily industrial, with a large railway marshalling yard. Sheffield Brightside was also the name of one of Sheffield’s six Parliamentary constituencies until population decline forced the construction of the larger Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough constituency.

More related locations...