Heeley Map

Heeley is a former village cluster that has merged to form a suburb in the south of Sheffield. The village has been around since at least 1343, with its name derived from Heah Leah, High Lea, and Hely, all of which mean a high, forest clearing. Heeley was originally separated into three parts: Upper Heeley (or Heeley Top) was near the intersection of Myrtle Road and Heeley Green, Middle Heeley was near the intersection of the Gleadless Road and Well Road, and Lower Heeley (or Heeley Bottom) was near the intersection of the London Road and Artisan View. Heeley Methodist Church was constructed in 1826. Heeley City Farm is a city farm project located near the railway line in Heeley’s northwestern outskirts. The farm is involved in various green efforts, including the installation of a wind turbine and green roofs on several facilities.

More related locations...